Thursday, October 18, 2007

Worn Out

Three blog entries in three days. The world is ending. Andy is here.

We had another brilliant day. I have to be honest though; we are exhausted. It gets to be pretty overwhelming to have so many intense and incredible experiences with no pause in between. Today was no exception. We started the day with the kids working on their movies. The electricity went out, so the kids started drawing more pictures to add to their movies. At eleven o' clock this morning, twelve kids and I drove over to the IOM offices in Accra. Erik stayed with the remaining kids at the center.

We had our video pen-pal day scheduled today with three groups. Two were with Lori and Claire in the Chicago area, and the other was with Peggy and Ronald's class from Lake Charles Louisiana. We started off a bit rough with the Internet, but once we established a good connection we had a ton of fun. The kids from both Ghana and America seemed in awe that they were actually talking to each other in live-time. The conversation usually started with names and ages, eventually moving into school, sports and food. The most confusing subject is the difference between "football" and "American football." I don't know why America calls football soccer. It really makes more sense to call American football "rugby version 2..." but I digress.

The kids from America then began to ask the kids here about what it was like to be trafficked. I was impressed with how open both groups of kids were. They talked back and forth (when the Internet allowed), and really got into some serious conversations. My hope is that this experience sparked a realization in both groups of kids that the world is pretty small, and no matter where you are from, you have a lot in common. It ended with the kids from America asking the kids here if they can become friends, and the response from here was a huge YES.

Whew. So after that kind of day, Erik and I came back to the hotel to realize that we have about 10 hours of work to do before tomorrow. Man... I am going to sleep for a month when I get back. As tired as I am, I only have one thing to complain about. Tonight at dinner, a group of about 15 loud and obnoxious American dudes showed up at the restaurant bar. We sat and watched as they took booze from behind the bar when the bartender wasn't looking, insulted every patron of the restaurant, and continued on to make every social and cultural mistake that is humanly possible. Luckily, it was the first group of stereotypical loud Americans that we have encountered, but they were sure a disgrace to the country. Erik and I were ashamed. If you know me, you know how much I love it when Americans are like that. Anyway... enough of them.

It seems weird to think that we are almost done with this blitz trip! Only one more country (Ethiopia). So until we write again, I will say adios.

Medawasee (Thank you in Twi - one of the languages here in Accra).

A.dog

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

its darren. miss u. i dont read everything on dis, but ive read a lot n it seems kool. i wanna have Xtreme times wit you again. come back to the xtreme life. miss u buddy. c ya later. text me!

sandra said...

I have wondered when you two energizer bunnies were going to hit the wall! I was emotionally drained when I came home and I was only in South Africa for ten days! I cannot imagine how tired ya'll are. For all you blog readers: While reading, it seems as if the guys are having so much fun and it's a blast - all true; HOWEVER, let me promise you there is some seriously hard work going on over there. The guys are just really good about not complaining! At least 15 hour days - every day, etc. Hang in there - you're almost home AND doing so dang much good!
Love,
Sandra

sandra said...

EMERGENCY: Bring me that sweet thang in Pic #1 Video PenPal Day home when you come. I don't care how you get him/her here, just BRING to me pdq. Oh my garsh......
sandra

Anonymous said...

Me again, I think we are all getting a sense of how extremely worn out these 2 men are both physically and emotionally. You are right Sandra about the photos and the work. We all only see the finisihed product not the hours of work that made it happen.Neither one really knows how to complain.I quote Sandra..."hang in there"

Anonymous said...

We are proud to stand along side (and behind)both of you. Hope you can be refreshed enough amidst the work to enjoy the last two countries, and their people, as you have the first three. We have times of refreshment waiting for you upon your return, so keep faithful to the tasks at hand.

Anonymous said...

I just read Richard's recent blog about enjoying our Lake Forest videos. Is this the same Richard we met when we had dinner with Lisa at the Greek restaurant (Opah!)? If so, hello Richard! Thanks for your feedback on the videos. It was a challenge to show a bit of life in Lake Forest when it is vastly different from Ghana. Erik and I talked about it before he and Andy left for Africa. But the girls tried to show a glimpse of their school and town and couldn't resist including our dog....

And yes, exhilaration is what is holding Erik and Andy up right now. I'm sure they're running on fumes between the hard work and long hours but oh the joy they have experienced and we're grateful to have shared that yesterday during the live chats. We have two schools here that are so elated. The students bonded quickly with the Ghana children and they're psyched to raise funds for the next rescue mission in January. Erik and Andy have done so much for so many! Be well and take care guys!! We love you!